Friday 2 March 2007

Hairpin crochet bag for my daughter-for Sundays..


This is a hairpin crochet bag made from strips of hairpin crochet in a yarn called FFilati : OSLO which is one of those very textured unusual yarns and I thought hairpin would show off the yarn quality best.
It's also a bag made from just the one ball of OSLO and one ball of a burgundy DK merino pure wool.
I like it when you can make something from just the one ball!
It was made on a clover hairpin tool, 3 strips at the setting for 8cm and 2 shorter strips at the 3 or 4 cm setting , a 6mm hook was used for the strips.
To join the strips I used a 4mm hook and the merino wool, picking up a loop on one side,3 chains then picking up a loop from the other strip, 3 chains, picking up from the first strip again and so on: kind of a zigzag or herringbone pattern or crochet joining the textured strips.
Where the shorter strips left a gap and a set of free loops belonging to the outer top edges of the wider strips I crocheted with the OSLO in dc's( US sc's) with the 6mm hook to fill in the gaps.

I found some hand dyed plastic handles at a Craft Fair in a pink that perfectly complemented the OSLO yarn.
I am very keen on recycling fabrics and a bit of a hoarder so I cut up some old clothes for the lining of the bag:
The main outer lining is a cut up rugby shirt of my husband's, the fine corduroy attaching the handles to the lining came from a worn out pair of trousers from my eldest and the inner lining: a bright magenta velour came from leggings my youngest grew out of years ago.
I sewed it all together and then added the hairpin cover, stitching it to the lining fabrics.
It's ideal for Sundays when my eldest wants to keep her Missal handy to follow the words of the Communion Service.

I learned hairpin crochet from both the Clover tool instruction leaflet and a crochet cabana website.
Then made up the above ''pattern'' myself.

Left the hairpin cover as a work in progress



This was a rugby shirt once.





To show that the hairpin cover is complete in itself, all crocheted together without any sewing my daughter thought it an excellent Viking hat....









No comments: