Friday 29 December 2006

Zig zag scarf in black/white tonal and textural yarns




Here is a scarf I made using hte new Ripple Stitch book by Jan Eaton, I made mine with lots of different yarns using some doubled : such as the DK cashmerino wool or the Blur ( Sirdar) mohair,I started with a black Jaeger chenille I have had in my yarn stash for decades now!!!
I added some newly bought Splash yarn by Patons , some Art yarns- DK wool blends by LANG - I love the greys - both pale and dark in the ZOOM range, I used pure wools, mohair, viscose ribbon,DK pure cotton,some Jaeger angora(black),a Debbie Bliss cashmerino and a Louisa Harding Impressions ( in grey mix) all with a 7mm hook.
It was fantastic fun to do and although I first made it completely assymmetrical : this didn't ''work'' for me so I had to go back a few rows and make it ''almost'' symmetrical.
The black gives way to the greys and then cream and pure white, the grey yarns were both plains and graded/variegated in grey tones- ones , some with bobbles and textural effects in the yarns used.These were the most fun to buy and then use!
It's fabulously soft ( thank you mohair, angora and cashmere, not to mention that old viscose chenille!!!), very warm and I feel wonderful in it, it goes with a long black cashmere coat I have now had for over 20 years which had a huge velvet shawl collar but this leaves a big area bare with a V neckline so a good scarf is ESSENTIAL to keep warm in this coat and now I have one!

I added more fringing than the book suggested and have to say the pattern was super easy and to be told you need approx 20m of a yarn was very useful as I could wind the required amount off several different balls, combine them and then crochet with my own blended thicker yarn!!!
I also wanted a firm outer edge and thus finished both outer edges with a crab stitch.
It was made in November 2006.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVE this! :)